Monday, June 8, 2009

Of Fairies & a Stool.....

I came across this little stool yesterday that has been standing quietly at the foot of the bed in Taska's bedroom & boy did it take me back.... I remember painting this for Taska when she was a wee little thing & I was decorating her bedroom. The walls were (& still are) painted cream on top, pink on the bottom, & she slept in a fairy wonderland! I bought her the ABC's frieze that went right around her walls with fairies all over them, made the curtains out of fairy material with a matching doona cover & pillow slip. Fairy ornaments were lovingly placed in every nook & cranny, I also painted her another stool with a fairy scene on it & heart shaped plaques with similar characters painted on them as the stool below.......

Funny yah know but I still remember painting this & just how long it took & even though it has pen marks all over the top it gave me a lot of pleasure to know Taska still uses this little stool & it hasn't been banished to a corner of her room, covered up with the mess that is on her floor like the fairy stool has. When Taska moved rooms I lovingly took all the fairy items down & although it did not surprise me that in their place the posters of favourite actors/musicians etc went up it did sadden me to realise my little girl was growing up & there never again would be a fairy theme in my home.....
The doona cover pillow slip & curtains are long gone, passed onto a girlfriends little girl who isn't so little anymore so maybe they are not being used but the ornaments & frieze have been lovingly packed away by Taska hopefully waiting to be bought out when it is her turn to decorate her daughters bedroom (oh not for a LONG time though!) Her room has gone through a few changes over the years at the moment it is at the start of a black & white phase which is lookin' good I admit, but the little stool remains & never fails to put a smile on my face..... it also made me realise how much I miss the craft I gave away so many years ago.... maybe its time to take it up again...


Hope you are all enjoying your long weekend... the weather is just glorious up here in sunny Coffs Harbour...





7 comments:

Feedsack Fantasy said...

Oh, Lyn, the stool is adorable. What a wonderful piece to save for her children. TTFN ~ Marydon

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

too cute....love it..I enjoyed reading your blog today.
I love all the new blogs
I have found. Quite a unique group.
I love making new blogging friends..
I have several Disney posts already on my blog and have several more to post. Hope you will stop by for a visit.

The Pink Poodle said...

dearest LYN...finally got around to re visiting you..
I have been slack lately..as interstate .. and then just soo pre occupied re this cleaning business!

OOOJHHH!! how cute this stool is..not only is it a lovely memory etc...BUT HEY gorgeous CLEVER girl...you even painted it!! (way beyond me)!

plus with all the other decor..

hope you are going along well...i am plodding along in my OLD AGE!!!

xxx andrea

abeachcottage said...

ooh gotta love a nice little stool for a cottage, gorgeous and the colour you painted it has got me thinking...

Sarah

Gail McCormack said...

Hi Lyn
Loved the little stool you created for Taska - I so remember decorating my daughter's room - and re decorating time and time again, I think I enjoyed it more than her!

I'm hearing yah on this post

Glad you have sunshine up there in Coff's

xo

Tulip~Rose Quilt Shoppe said...

Lyn

How beautiful your little girls room would have looked...and then they grow up!
I have 3 boys so no pretty little bedrooms at my house....LOL

Glad that you have sunshine...it is raining down here and has been for days! but at least its great sewing weather!!

Glenda xxx

Rebecca Nelson said...

I remember when I took down the pink and creamy white stripe wallpaper in Adrienne's bedroom. Down came the canopy and the lace curtains too. She then went with yellow and then the last two years she was home we did her room in the blue and white that was in RHomes Magazine. Each change was so hard....with every new color she reached another milestone in her life...

Love the painted stool and love the story. Mostly love how you can read all about your love for your girl between the lines...

xoRebecca