Saturday, September 4, 2010

~*And The Earth Shook*~

UPDATE.....
Since I wrote this post there has been 563 quakes in Christchurch...
I was woken this morning at 6.30 by a phone call from my Mum, believe me I know when I receive a call this early the news can not be good. I immediately thought of my Dad (thankfully he is fine) I did not however expect the reason for the call........  Christchurch my beautiful home City was hit by a 7.4 earthquake at 4.35am this morning the worst earthquake in over 80 years. I turned my TV on & was horrified at what I was watching, it looked like a bomb had hit. My Brother & Sister in law luckily didn't have too much damage to their home, my Sister however has lost everything. I managed to ring her a while ago, she is naturally a mess, in tears as she told me she had lost all the china that was once our Grandma's, she just kept saying *It's all gone Lyn, all I had left of Grandma is gone*..... I told her they were alive & that is all that matters, she said Bruce (her hubby) thought they were going to die. They are still getting



after shocks, the first was 7.1 they are now down to 5. people over there have said the noise of the quake
was deafening, some saying it sounded like freight trains others like jets. Roads have opened up one where a car was swallowed a metre deep into the hole. Christchurch has so many beautiful old Gothic style Heritage buildings so many that have now been damaged, even our stunning Christchurch Cathedral has damage. Flooding has occurred in quite a few suburbs, there is no water, electricity & sewage pipes have broken. To say this is heart wrenching form me is putting it mildly, I cried when I saw the damage, I cried my eyes out talking to my sister all I wanted to do was give her a big cuddle & tell her in the end it would be alright.
Luckily there have been no deaths, a man is critical after a chimney fell on him, amazing really after all the devastation.  Kiwi's are use to earthquakes, we are taught in school what to do when one hits but I don't think anything could have prepared them for this one, it was always presumed our Capital City Wellington would cop the *big one* it is well over due, even Nelson where my Mum & Dad live is over due for one, not Christchurch. I remember as a child a rather big one but nothing like this one, I can only imagine how terrified they were. A state of emergency has been declared, tomorrow they are expecting rain.
I ask you to say I pray today for everyone in my Home City, but especially for my beautiful sister Sue......
                                                  

10 comments:

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

My prayers are with you and your family. One of my grandmother's was born in Christchurch and came over to the States when she was 8. Take care, thoughts, thoughts with you.
xo~Tracie

Unknown said...

Prayers certainly are with the people of New Zealand ... hopefully all will settle down but we are grateful no lives were lost. Our best to all in your family.

Have a lovely PS & holiday weekend.
TTFN ~ Marydon

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

You're more than welcome, Lyn. Your faith will pull you through this heavy hearted time. xo!

The Pink Poodle said...

dear Lyn...saw this on the news just before...cannot believe no one was killed..

so sorry for your sister ... but at least she is alive...which is the main thing..

just watching SKY news coverage & there were after shocks during the news...
scary stuff..

xx andrea

Anonymous said...

Ohh Lyn!
I thought of you when I heard about the quake this morning.
I can only imagine what your sister & her family are feeling at the moment. At least they are safe & as well as can be expected at the moment.
Take care & pass on my hugs to them too. x

Ange said...

So thankful your sister is okay, physically at least. I can't imagine anyone in ChCh.trying to get any sleep tonight. I imagine everyone will be on edge.
It's times like this you really feel the distance eh.
Angex

Alicia ~ time worn style said...

Sending so much love and best wishes to our dear friends the New zealanders. Thinking of you all.
alicia

Alison Gibbs said...

Lyn so sorry to hear that your sister has lost everything but as you say at least they are ok.
Hopefully the Aussie government will send and give assistance. Maybe it is because of the election complications.
Alison

A Bite of Country Cupcakes said...

Oh Goodness how sacry and devastating is that! My thoughts and prayers are with your Sister and I hope she soon gets some peace....

Rebecca Nelson said...

Prayers continue to be with you my friend! How are things now? Has your city calmed down?

Thinking of you sweet one...lifting you up to the Father~

xo~Rebecca